· According to the 2001 Census of India, Telugu is the language with the third largest number of native speakers in India (8.4 million)
· Thirteenth in the Ethnologic list of most-spoken languages worldwide and most spoken Dravidian language.
· It is one of the twenty-two scheduled languages of the Republic of India and one of the four classical languages along with Sanskrit, Tamil and Kannada.
· Telugu was influenced by Sanskrit and Prakrit.
· Telugu is written in a Brahmic alphabe
· Telugu is one of the fifteen most widely spoken languages in the world.
· Though Carnatic music has a profound cultural influence on all of the South Indian States and their respective languages, most of the songs (Kirtanas) are in Telugu language.
· Inscriptions in Telugu date back to 400 BC
· Telugu is mainly spoken in the state of Andhra Pradesh where it is an official language and in the neighboring states of Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Orissa, Chhattisgarh, some parts of Jharkhand and the Kharagpur region of West Bengal in India.
· It is also spoken in Australia,Bahrain, Fiji, Malaysia, Singapore, Mauritius, Ireland, South Africa, the United Arab Emirates, the United States and the United Kingdom where there is a considerable Telugu Diaspora.
· Yanadi and Bagata are ethnic groups speaking Telugu as mother tongue
· Waddar,Chenchu,Savara and Manna-Dora are all closely related to Telugu.
· Dialects of Telugu are Berad, Dasari, Dommara, Golari, Kamathi, Komtao, Konda-Reddi, Salewari, Telangana, Telugu, Vadaga, Srikakula, Visakhapatnam, East Godavari, West Godavari, Rayalseema, Nellore,prakasam Guntur, Vadari and Yanadi (Yenadi).
· In Tamil Nadu the Telugu dialect is classified into Salem, Coimbatore, and Chennai Telugu dialects. It is also widely spoken in Virudhunagar, Tuticorin, Madurai and Thanjavur districts.
· Italian explorer Niccolò Da Conti called it Italian of the east as all native words in Telugu end with a vowel sound.
· "...Among these five languages, the Telinga appears to be most polished, and though confessedly a difficult language, it must be numbered among those which are the most worthy of cultivation; its variety of inflection being such as to give it a capacity of expressing ideas with high degree of facility, justness and elegance..." - Rev. W.Carey.
· "...But those who may at first question the utility of so many letters in the Teloogoo, will perhaps relinquish most of their objections, when they find that the variety of sound in this language is greater, and better represented than English..." - A.D Campbell
· "Telugu Delayanna Desambu Telugu. Desa Bhashalandu Telugu Lessa." - Sri Krishna Devarayalu
క్రీ.పూ 400 నుంచి వాడుకలో ఉంది > తెలుగు భాషలోని పదాలన్నీ అచ్చులతో పూర్తవుతాయి
ఒకప్పుడు తెనుంగు లేదా తెలుంగు అని పిలిచేవారు >
ఇండియాలో ఎక్కువమంది మాట్లాడే భాషలలో మూడోస్థానంలో ఉంది. ప్రపంచంలో 15వ స్థానంలో ఉంది
కేవలం తెలుగులో మాత్రమే అధిక సామెతలు ఉన్నాయి
ఇండియాలోని అన్ని భాషలలో తెలుగు భాష తియ్యనైనదని రవీంద్రనాథ్ ఠాగూర్ అన్నారు
పురాణాల ప్రకారం శివుడు వెలిసిన త్రిలింగ దేశంలో పుట్టింది తెలుగు బాష